The Berkeley Garden Club has been active in the community since 1932. One of the original projects was the planting of Freemontia Park in the triangle formed by Marin, Monterey and The Alameda. Fremontia Park is now the home of the Berkeley Fire Department, Station 4. The club was also actively involved in the original planting of the Berkeley Rose Garden. We give financial support to many local organizations that share our values. Along with our Spring Plant Sale, some of our current and recent projects include:
Berkeley Rose Garden
The Berkeley Rose Garden is undergoing renovation and we are going to be actively involved. We will be dead heading and pruning roses as well as planting and maintaining the slope leading down to the garden.
For over 5 years the club maintained a Butterfly Garden adjacent to the Children's Playground at Aquatic Park. The visitors to the playground often visited the garden and we received many compliments on our hardy and drought tolerant native shrubs.
We spread our influence by supporting the following community organizations: Friends of Five Creeks, Kids for the bay, Save the Bay, Berkeley Partners for Parks, Berkeley path Wanderers Association, East Bay Regional Parks Foundation, Friends of the Regional Parks Botanic Garden, University of California Botanical Garden, California Native Plant Society, East Bay Edible Schoolyard Project, Oakland-East Bay Garden Center, Penny Pines Fund.